Hello! It has occurred to me (while updating my about me section) that I have not informed you my dear readers about my career path. I have gained quite a few followers recently (welcome!) and I think it’s time you know a little more about me.
- I am a fourth year PhD student at the University of Iowa. My research (thesis) focus is on synthetic nanomaterials. In layman’s terms: I make and test nano-sized materials for their potential toxicity and/or drug delivery potential.
- My degree will be in chemical engineering, but all of the work that I do is under the College of Pharmacy. This was actually super important to me when I was choosing a graduate school because I recognized a need for interdisciplinary research.
- I have published three peer-reviewed journal articles as a first author, and I am in the process of finishing two second author publications right now. Publishing is a HUGE part of what I do, because it demonstrates research capability.
- I intend to become a professor after I graduate. I want to be a professor at a research institution, so that I can teach courses and manage graduate students in a lab focused towards my research goals.
- At home, I cook and clean and workout and watch lots of Hulu. I used to read quite a bit more than I am reading now, but between work and wedding planning my brain just needs a break!